Let me say this for the umpteenth time, I am not a movie buff. I watch based on the characters I like and you have to be a good story teller to recommend a movie to me.
Growing up I always enjoyed watching movies with my brothers and my cousins. As a young one, action movies easily caught my attention and myself and my cousins usually try to play out scenes from these action movies. It was fun if you asked me.
If I like a movie, I wouldn’t mind watching it over and over.
Here are some movies I have seen 10 times or more:
1. A low down dirty Shame (Keneen Ivory Wayans and Jada Pinkett-Smith). This is my all-time favourite movie and I can’t explain why, maybe because it was the first movie I actually paid full attention to unlike when I would just watch movies because of the action scenes.
2. Entourage (Adrian Grenier, Jeremy Piven, Jerry Ferrara, Kevin Connolly & Kevin Dillon). It is still shocking to some of my friends that this isn’t my favourite movie of all-time, especially my guys from the Naija Pundits. I saw this movie in the cinema every Monday from the day of release till it was taken off the viewing list.
3. Godfather Trilogy (Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, James Caan and Robert Duvall). This is a classic no doubt and one of my brothers couldn’t stop raving about it. I want a holiday so I can watch again.
4. Breathing Fire (Jonathan Ke Quan and Bolo Yeung). Myself and Labimbi my cousin saw this movie over 20 times. I should look for it and watch again.
5. Polly (Keisha Knight Pulliam and Phylicia Rashad). It starred Ruddy and Claire Huxtable from the Cosby show. Labimbi’s twin always made us borrow this movie almost every time we went to the video club. I am not really a fan of drama flicks but she made us (a whole lot of us) watch it.
6. Rumble in the Bronx (Jackie Chan, Bill Tung and Francoise Yip). This is my favourite Jackie Chan Movie. Lovely flick.
7. Police Story 1 & 2 (Jackie Chan, Maggie Cheung and Bill Tung). This was like a family movie back then. I don’t think anyone in my family can mention 10 of their favourite actors and not mention Jackie Chan, this includes my late mum.
8. Police Academy 1 -5 (Steve Guttenberg, Kim Cattrall, Marion Ramsey, Michael Winslow and Bubba Smith). I know the movie didn’t stop at the 5th installment but the first 5 parts, I saw about a dozen times. Michael Winslow was my favourite character, with the different sounds he could make with his mouth.
9. Home Alone 2 (Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern). This has to be my best holiday movie ever. Shout out to Lizzy who always hollas when they show it on cable.
10. A Few Good Men (Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Pollak). Not a Tom Cruise fan, Demi Moore and Jack Nicholson made me watch it. Very interesting I must say and Jack Nicholson killed his role in it.
11. Batman (Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson). This was my cousin Sean’s favourite movie that year. Jack Nicholson is up there as one of the best Jokers in Batman Franchise history maybe second to the late Heath Ledger.
Let’s leave it at 11 like a football team eh? Honorable mentions; Spies Like Us (Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase), Good Fellas (Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta), Pretty Woman (Richard Here and Julia Roberts), Twins (Arnold Schwarzneeger and Danny Devito) and Back to the Future (Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd). Yeah you won’t find Sound of Music there, wasn’t a fan like that.
Of all the movies I have seen 10 times or more, Entourage is the most recent one. It was released in 2015.