Hey peeps, trust you have been enjoying your holidays. Mine has been great to say the least. Its that time of the year where I share with you my favourite Naija songs released in 2014. 2014 no doubt has been a fantastic year for Nigerian music acts, as a matter of fact I barely consciously listened to any foreign song. You get my drift? I figured. Its hard to put out an accurate list so I doff my hat to those that come up with ratings and the likes except FIFA. Yes FIFA awards have become a sham to me, but that’s story for another day. Back to the crux of the post, I have come up with a list of 14 songs that really made the year for me musically. Last year I was cut some slack on my list unlike in 2012 where I was torn to shreds verbally by some of you guys (lol).
Find below my top 14 songs of 2014.
14. High Class (Falz the Bahd Guy): another one of my favourite on Falz’ Wazup Guy album. The beat was sick and that’s big thanks to Studio Magic but Falz also made this jam a hit (well to me its a hit). If you have not heard this jam please find a way of getting it, you wont only thank me but also pray for me (lol).
13. Ginger (LAX ft Wizkid): one of the best party jams I have heard in recent times. LAX has an unexplainable unique style of singing and Wizzy was his usual playful self. Legundury is a super beat maker for reals. Ginger o Ginger
12. Double Wahala (Oritsefemi): this jam will definitely make any list put out there. Good song by Oritsefemi, I also love the remix where he featured D’Banj.
11. Alobam (Phyno): my favourite Ibo artiste, not that there are lots of them but I used to love N**ga Raw too. Alobam for me is the Igbo version of Awon Goons Mi, for me being the operative phrase. Nice song and good flows.
10. Baby Hello (Wande Coal): The Black Diamond for me is the best vocalist in Africa. This tune is reminiscent of most of the tracks from his Mushin to MoHits album. Nice beat and Wande was just Wande the vocal tyrant.
9.Marry Me (Falz the Bahd Guy ft Poe & Yemi Alade): for me this is the best about to ‘Marry’ song. Did that even make sense? You should understand. I am a big fan of Falz I won’t lie and I love his ‘Wazup Guy’ album. You need to watch Marry Me video, well directed.
8. Shoki Remix (Lil Kesh ft Davido & Olamide): all we hear is Shoki this Shoki that. Is the song worth the hype? Hell yea. Everybody is Shoki-ing in town o jare. Davido for me is the artiste of the year, very hardworking lad and yes Olamide’s delivery was top notch. Lil Kesh, another one for the future.
7. Perfect Gentleman (Sean Tizzle): this song is a master piece. Sean Tizzle deserved all the accolades he got and more. If you haven’t heard it, please I beg you to please find it and listen to it. #ThankMeLater
6. Awon Goons Mi (Olamide): Trust me you can’t write a list without including Olamide Baddo in it. Another street jam for us. Olamide is the most consistent Naija rapper and I will say it anywhere. Four albums in four years, Jay Z be afraid, be very afraid. Awon Goons Mi is a tight jam and it would be around for a while. Yes I said so.
5. Aye (Davido): a song for them ladies even though the lyrics can be a farce, its still a very good song. Davido will always give us a monster hit no doubt.
4. Loke Loke (Sean Tizzle ft 9ice): I must give a shout out to Mr. Q from the best chat room I have ever been (The Naija Pundits) for introducing this song to us. Its one of the few songs I heard a first time and the love stuck. Nice beat, tight hook and most importantly very good lyrics.
3. Murda (Seyi Shay ft PatoRanking & ShayDee): an interesting line up. Seyi Shay’s Irawo really shone on this track. I must confess I was really impressed with her. PatoRanking was in his elements on this one and ShayDee’s voice couldn’t have gone unnoticed. Good track
2. Girlie O Remix (PatoRanking ft Tiwa Savage): I wasn’t a fan of PatoRanking till I heard this song. Now I am not only a fan of the lad but also a fan of his style of music. I must say Tiwa also killed this jam. PatoRanking is definitely one for the future.
1. Dorobucci (The Mavins) : good song no doubt. It took over the airwaves for a long time. Don Jazzy did a great job with the beat and even as there are young producers out there willing to take his spot as the best producer in the country his case and I state (pardon me) in Yoruba parlance ‘ko le buru fun oba ko ma ku dansaki’ which means (correct me if I am wrong) no matter how bad it is for a king his GREATNESS will remain . Good song and I am sure almost every Nigerian must have heard it.
There you have it, my top 14 songs for 2014. There were other good songs like Emergency (WizzyPro ft PatoRanking, Skales & RunTown), Shake Body (Skales), On top your matter (WizKid), Amin (Dammy Krane), Burna Boy (Don GonGon), Mercy (Praiz), Lead Me On (Cynthia Morgan), Eyo (Asa), N Word (IcePrince ft Aka), Show Me The Money (WizKid) just to mention a few that could have made this list.
I am expecting my head to be chopped as regards this list. Thanks for your time people and may 2015 bring us JOY and FULFILLMENT (AMEN).
And no I didn’t deliberately wait till today December 29th which happens to be my birthday before posting this. Happy Birthday to me and I am already saying AMIN o to your prayers.
Follow on me twitter and Instagram via this handle @dipoogun